According to the latest Gallup survey on American employee’s productivity conducted in 201, only 29% of employees were engaged or involved and enthusiastic about their job. In contrast 71 % of full-time workers, were “not engaged” including 20% miserable or actively disengaged. These findings are really shocking and very disheartening. Miserable employees are simply ignored, they are disconnected from the company’s goals, often scared to lose their job, taking sometimes additional workload from a colleague who has been laid-off.
Can sustainable organizations ignore employee’ s morale ? Cutting costs has direct impact on the bottom line but not necessarily in the desired way:
“miserable employees create miserable customers”
For the most part the recovery of the American economy is dependent on the innovation capacity of America Inc. If employees are not intrinsically motivated chances are very high that they are not creative as well. and won’t work hard enough as passionate people do according to Steve Jobs in a video about the rules for success. I cannot agree more and I have observed the power of passion in people at any level and any function of organizations and across cultures.
Passion is putting you in a state of “flow” where you ignore fatigue or hunger because you are so engaged by what you do that you ignore the time you spend on a particular activity, you are intrinsically rewarded by what you do and truly happy. The concept of “flow” has been introduced by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi a psychologist making connections between satisfaction and daily activities in his book: ” Flow: The Psychology of the Optimal Experience“.
Being passionate is coming from the inside-out. You can break somebody’s motivation very easily but it is very hard for leaders to inspire people to give happily the best of what they have to offer if they don’t want to and don’t have trust in the management.
High performance organizations know that engaged employees drive customer value and business performance. Good examples of such companies are Google or Zappos with its CEO’s vision of putting his people first.
HOW TO BOOST EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT ?
Gallup measures employees’ engagement by collecting the answers of the following 12 survey items listed bellow.
If you want to engage people you need to provide what it takes for them to say YES to a maximum of the questions:
- Q01. I know what is expected of me at work.
- Q02. I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right.
- Q03. At work, I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day.
- Q04. In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work.
- Q05. My supervisor, or someone at work, seems to care about me as a person.
- Q06. There is someone at work who encourages my development.
- Q07. At work, my opinions seem to count.
- Q08. The mission or purpose of my organization makes me feel my job is important.
- Q09. My associates or fellow employees are committed to doing quality work.
- Q10. I have a best friend at work.
- Q11. In the last six months, someone at work has talked to me about my progress.
- Q12. This last year, I have had opportunities at work to learn and grow.
The Three ‘E’s of Engagement: Engage, Empower, Enable:
- Engage: leaders must provide a clear view of the company’s future, connect the company values with the individual life purpose, identify individual contribution to a higher level than self . Employees who feel good about themselves and think they belong to a team get the intrinsic motivation to deliver performance.
- Empower: Let people decide how to set goals, how to get the expected results. Increase their personal power in making decisions at all level of the organizations. The leaders’ role is to coach and mentor individuals and teams to remove self-limiting beliefs, provide immediate feedbacks and develop strengths while minimizing the impact of weaknesses
- Enable: Provide highly personalized support and enough resources. Lead teams based on matching personal communication, behavior and management styles of each team member. Provide talent development programs.
How Do You Measure Employee’s Engagement and Creativity ?
What Is You Recipe To Stimulate Creativity and Innovation In Your Company ?
- Engaged Employees Love Their Work, But Love Their Lives Even More (socialmediatoday.com)